Thursday, August 16, 2012

At Least You Hate Your Life

Hello readers, in my world travels (really just Southern California) I notice a lot of trends but the ones that stick out to me the most are witty sayings or phrases. You see I have always felt that we as a species like to grasp on to catchy sayings and stuff cause they are easy to remember and hey everyone else is saying them. And even I over the years have got caught up in these catchphrases, hell you will still find me saying "dude" or "sweet" and when I know I have nothing intelligent to say I will also spout some catchy new age lingo to make someone feel better. But I am not here to talk about those phrases, I have noticed this recent trend by the older generation to say a bunch of seemingly good advice.


 You see there is an issue with a few of these words though, not only are they not really helpful, but they are also are kinda mean spirited and sometimes just downright stupid. Listen we understand that some of you elders have led shitty lives and are now just bitter but hey you still in all your lives could have come up with something a little better to say. I am talking about phrases such as...

1. At Least you Have a Job
We never complained about our low pay either
 This particular phrase tends to follow someone telling another person that there current place of employment sucks Ron Jeremy's dick. The elder statesmen will come up to you and tell you that in this time and age you should just be happy you have a job. Really you maybe saying Nick, this really isn't all that bad really you shouldn't be complaining when a lot of people don't have a job. To that I say hey stranger how did you get into my room, and that's not the point. For the point I will give the floor to Chris Rock:
No witty comeback here

It's not that we are upset that we have to work for a living, and its not that we just want a free handout its that we for the most part are getting paid really nothing to serve assholes all day. It's the fact that we know our job sucks and that we hope that this is motivation to do something better with ourselves. Telling each other that are jobs suck is not hurting anyone its just releasing some frustration on the shitty situation we are in now.

2. Back in my day when something was broke we didn't throw it away...
And look how happy its made them
It never ceases to amaze me how often I find this quote spamming my Facebook. It's almost as if they think that by making there current shitty relationship situation better by looking at the 50s and using social trends of that time to make them feel better. You know at the time divorce was while legal not looked on with any kind of reverence. And its not that I am saying that when a relationship goes sour that you should just brake it apart, what I am saying is that this advice is kinda faulty at best. The people who post these things still think that the quality of something is based on how long it last, be it life or relationships. Sometimes you have a good run with someone things go south and then you go your separate ways. Why would you argue for keeping something going longer then you know it should last. Think people sometimes what works for that aging couple up there is not whats best for you so really stop thinking that your relationship should be bulletproof and just play things by ear.

3. we had ____, they have____
The Depressing Past
The Sad Future

 There seems to be this revisionist history when it comes to pop culture from the past in comparison to the future. A few weeks ago I saw a post that seemed to be bragging that Aaron Carter was vastly superior to Justin Bieber. We will ignore the fact that both of them make terrible music and instead just focus on the stupidity of this argument. Listen we all had stuff from are childhood that we look on with fond memories. Off the top of my head I can list a few; Pokemon, Batman, Star Wars, McDonald's with standards. 

What we tend to do is ignore the fact that not everything from back then was all that great, for every new Pokemon game we still had to deal with Superman 64, and for every time I saw The Empire Strikes Back I have to be reminded that Attack of the Clones exist. And yes I had to listen to Aaron Carter when I was growing up, and now I have to listen to Justin Bieber but here is the thing they both SUCK. The only thing you are saying when you make the claim that one is better then the other is that your taste clearly hasn't changed much over the years. And much like Aaron Carter the only thing we will remember about Justin Bieber is what drug he got addicted to during his inevitable downfall.

Till next time

And after you are done reading this please read my good friend David Zafra's new post about Actors that aren't as good as we think they are. 

And you should still be watching our customer service video on Daves of our Lives
And for more things about about relationships here is this old Daves of our Lives video

No comments:

Post a Comment